Media Mail is a special class of mail from USPS. It’s for sending books, DVDs, film, sound recordings, and computer media. It’s also one of the cheapest mail services available anywhere, and is priced based on weight only, not distance.
There are a few important things to remember if you’re planning on using Media Mail. First, Media Mail can be opened for inspection, to make sure your package only contains stuff that can be sent by Media Mail. If anything that doesn’t qualify is found, the package will be sent as postage due at the much more expensive Priority Mail rate.
What can be sent via Media Mail?
- Books of at least eight printed pages, without advertising
- Film that is 16mm or narrower. Must not a negative and cannot be sent between commercial theaters
- Printed bound or sheet music
- Printed test materials and accessories for educational purposes
- Video recordings, sound recordings, and player piano rolls
- Playscripts and manuscripts for books, periodicals, and music
- Printed educational reference charts designed to instruct or train, with the information primarily made of graphs, diagrams, tables, or other nonnarrative matter
- Loose-leaf pages and binders containing medical information for distribution to doctors, hospitals, medical schools, and medical students
- Computer-readable media containing prerecorded information, and guides or scripts only for use with that media
Read the full rules in the Domestic Mail Manual at USPS.com
How much does Media Mail cost?
Media Mail starts at $3.65 for one pound, and goes up from there. There’s a maximum weight of 70 pounds per package, so if you need to send more than that you’ll need to split it between several boxes.
If you know your package’s weight, use our online calculator to get the exact price.
How do I send Media Mail?
You can send your package as Media Mail by visiting your local post office, or, if you’re in the Helena area, you can do it from home by scheduling a pickup with Helena Express. We’ll come to you and can weigh and send your package by Media Mail or your choice of service from USPS, UPS, or FedEx.